Speak of the Wild West in Italy and the Sulcis Iglesiente, in the south-west of Sardinia, is what comes to mind. Wild because of its pristine natural treasures, far from the crowds of tourists; exploring these offers a unique and memorable experience. In the Sulcis Iglesiente you can find an alternative Sardinia, where the beaches have been left as nature intended and you can smell the Mediterranean scrub.Sulcis Iglesiente is one of the oldest areas in Europe: rich in minerals and, therefore, rich in history and culture since ancient times. Here is a proposal for a 5-day guided tour in Sulcis Iglesiente, Mines in the blue with easy walks, transfers by car and visits to archaeological, mining and natural attractions in South West Sardinia.
Day 1. A taste of history: from the Nuragics to the Phoenicians up to the 1900s. Nuraghe Seruci, Monte Sirai and Carbonia
Day 2. Visit to the island of Sant’Antioco
Day 3. Visit to the Temple of Antas and the city of Iglesias
Day 4. Easy trekking from Nebida to Porto Flavia with a stop at Masua beach
Day 5. Tour of the beaches, Cala Domestica, Buggerru, San Niccolò and Capo Pecora
The Guide: Tiziana Dedola, tourist guide and local expert.
The accommodation: if available, the staying is in the beautiful Bed & Breakfast by the sea Pedra Rubia (extra cost not included) or in similar structures in the nearby.
The transfer: by private car or minibus (extra cost not included).
The meals: not included, but you can take advantage of special agreement with local restaurants and shops.
The south-west of Sardinia is a place for the discerning traveller, for the pioneer, for an élite of connoisseurs, a million miles from classic mass tourism. Here the luxury extras are untouched nature, the chance to explore deserted locations and discover new routes, a passion for forests and rocks and a love for perfect blue seas and skies.
Here is a proposal for a 5-day guided tour in Sulcis Iglesiente with easy walks, transfers by car and visits to archaeological, mining and natural attractions in South West Sardinia.
- Nuraghe Seruci and the village
- Porto Paglia Beach, the tonnara and the special rock
- Monte Sirai archaeological area, the acropolis, the temple, the necropolis, the tophet
- Nuragic village of Grutti ‘e Acqua, Tomb of the Giants of Su Niu e Su Crobu, Arch of Kisses
- “Living museum" of Bisso by Chiara Vigo/Ethnographic museum
- Phoenician-Punic archaeological area, Hypogean village of Sant'Antioco
- Antas Temple, roman quarries, Nuragic village and centuries-old oak
- Iglesias city center: Medieval walls, squares, Salvaterra Castle, medieval churches
- Belvedere of Nebida, Laveria La Marmora, the “colosseum of mining art”
- Masua Beach and ancient mining buildings
- Porto Flavia mining site
- Cala Domestica Beach
- Village of Buggerru and San Niccolò beach
- Capo Pecora natural area by the sea